The Potentials of Using Technology in the Secondary Classroom
Searching the Web:
III Explore Free Web Tools and Sites:
- Explore several Internet sites that collate various
web sites; these sites will allow Waynflete teachers to begin setting up projects
in the afternoon: TrackStar: "TrackStar
helps instructors organize and annotate Web sites (URLs) for use in lessons.
The resource list remains visible allowing the user to easily stay on track;"
RIBIT: "RIBIT is a tool designed
to help teachers create inquiry-based learning curriculum using the Internet.
RIBIT is easy to use, it stores the IBIs (Internet-based inquiries) that users
create and it's free." New Curriculum
web site and resource center.
- Review search sites and discuss planning techniques
for setting up an assignment on such preformatted web sites.
- Contemplate various ways to have students take more
ownership of this process: how can students find cultural and historical illuminations
about the text? Discuss natural student centered dynamics that technology
encourages. At what point can students be assigned to do the above inquiries?
- How can a teacher evaluate technology projects.
IV Making a Web Page
- Explain basic function of a server and web page folder.
- Discuss strategies for planning and organizing before
- We will have one person drive and make a page; then
partners can do it.
V Writing Process
- Inspirational Software: the traditional outline and
the pictorial outline.
- Also use it to show large plots and organize minor
and major characters.
- Use of email for pedagogy of writing; listservs v.
individual email. We can discuss this and share experiences; I will give you
a personal reaction (from my experience in the electronic trenches) to this
three page article: How Email Can Give You Back Your Life; Barbara Moore,
English Journal, Vol. 92, Num. 3, Jan. 2003. This will generate good discussion
and help Waynflete teachers to evaluate what’s best for their culture.
- Exploiting Microsoft Words Yellow Highlight and Insert
VI Audio Recorder
- Demonstrate this easy to use free software for OSX
which creates mp3s.
- Have students
record profound passages in prose and drama besides poetry.
VII Electronic Portfolios:
- When students post things on a web page, they are
adding another step to the writing process; you can then share this published
writing with peers for review and/or evaluate peer reactions as another step.
Parents can also become involved here. Regardless, posting on the web instantly
serves as a form of publishing.
- Student collection of writing and multi media projects
on meaningful topics; sophomore year’s spirit of place multi media project
can become a college essay topic senior year.
VII Short Evaluation
- What did you enjoy about today?
- What would you change about today's presentation?
- Email me: email@example.com